tv controls
tv color
tv top
blog logo
tv shell top
tv black screen

Out Geek Me – Issue 1

Out Geek Me is mediaRif’s challenge to you, our dear readers, to prove that you can be geekier than us.  This is no easy task, as we have 200+ years of cumulative geekdom under our belts (mostly from the old man of the office, Ben).  Tell us in the comments if you think you can out geek us.

We would like to focus this first challenge on the subject of video games.  Achievements are a big part of gaming these days, and while it’s fairly easy to complete all the achievements in some games, others require weeks of hard work.

My biggest geek moment in video games was well before the achievements of the Xbox 360, or the Trophies of the PS3 – on the humble Playstation 1.  I’ve completed Final Fantasy VII many times before. I’d even beat the extremely difficult, but optional Boss Battles: Ruby and Emerald Weapon, which is quite the achievement in and of itself.  But my true claim to glory came when I beat Final Fantasy VII in literally one sitting, over 27 hours.

Keep in mind that while that seems like a long time, my first play through took me several months and over 80 hours of game-time to complete.  Chances are good that if you have a question about Final Fantasy VII, I have an answer.

17 Comments

1. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 12:35 am | Permalink

One of my favorite NES games was “Contra”. We played it so much that we could finish it in our sleep. So a friend and I did just that and we actually played it blindfolded. A usual game could be completed in just less than 15 minutes but blindfolded took a bit longer. I can’t remember for sure but it may have taken a couple of hours.

2. Posted June 9, 2011 at 9:28 am | Permalink

That’s fantastic. Contra was a pretty hard game NOT blindfolded. My favorite part was playing two player on the waterfall level, and then trying to ditch the other guy to kill him. It would always backfire though, because they could steal your lives after they ran out.

3. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Yeah, it sucked getting lives taken away until we figured out the cheat to get unlimited lives. Up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, B, select then start. We couldn’t have beat it blindfolded without the cheat.
    So maybe we aren’t as cool as we thought. Lol… And I may have exaggerated the amount of time we won it blindfolded but time is relative when you are playing nintendo 10 days straight with hardly any rest or nourishment. 2 hours, 3 days… It all feels the same. I will say this though, we did time ourselves unblindfolded and it was just under 15 min. That much is true. And we may have only used the 3 extra lives cheat. 😉

4. Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

hmm. Now I can’t take anything you say seriously. Everyone knows that the code for an extra 30 lives is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Select (for 2 players), Start. So close… J/k

5. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Dude, it has been like 20 years since I used that cheat and there are many of them to remember. I thought I had it right. If I would have had the actual controller in my hand I probably could have figured it out. I was actually trying to “air controller” it to figure it out. hahaha…

6. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Oh, and I wasn’t talking about 30 extra lives, I was talking “unlimited” lives baby!!! :).

7. Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

The internet disagrees about this whole “unlimited lives” in Contra business. The only place I found that referenced contra having an unlimited lives code was gamewinners.com, and the users there disagreed that it was a real code. Then again, maybe we’re talking about different editions of contra (ie contra 1,2,3,4, Super Contra, etc…)

8. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Okay, I just called my “contra” friend because this was driving me crazy. Hahaha… He only remembers the classic up, up, down, down, Left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start cheat code. He swears that we played unlimited lives on there too but I am not sure any more. I have that other code etched in my “air controller” memory for some reason. I challenged you Brandon and I failed. 🙂

9. Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I don’t know that I’d say you failed. The blindfolded thing is still a crazy achievement. And if it makes you feel better, Curtis found reference to the Japanese version of Contra on the Famicon system having multiple codes. Also, you may have just been so good that with 30 lives, you felt like you had infinite, because you never lost that many.

10. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks Brandon. :). I am proud of the hundreds upon hundreds of hours that I spent gaming. The multiple player games helped me to develop my social skills along with brain stimulation and focus. My dexterity and Motor skills were also improved. “Contra” will always be dear to my heart. The end. Lol….

11. Posted June 13, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

The Konami Contra 30 lives code is up up down down left right left right B A Select Start.

12. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 15, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

It was games like “Double dragon” and especially “Street fighter” that really confused me with all the up, up, down, R, L, B, X.. etc. “special moves”. I never properly learned how to initiate the moves so when a battle started I would just hit as many buttons as I possibly could and pray that I would knock down my opponent.

13. Posted June 15, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Street Fighter always kicked my butt too. I learned all the moves on mortal combat, so my brothers all learned street fighter and I never had a chance. Our favorite fighting game was Soul Blade on the Playstation 1. We actually burned through 3 copies of that game because we played it so much.

14. Posted June 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

And thus, the future of our species has spoken.

15. avatar Snakesbeard
    Posted June 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

The future is bright Ben, the future is bright… I never played Soul Blade. Man, that sounds like a good one. We burned through a few games as well. You knew the game was on its last leg when blowing into the game cartridge didn’t work. I also remember My brother figured out that if we put the game in the freezer for 5 minutes it would start working again.

16. Posted June 16, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

no way? freezing your game for 5 minutes works? That’s awesome! Blowing into the cartridge was all we had. If only I’d known. Reminds me of one of my favorite comics though. http://xkcd.com/218/

17. avatar Snakesbeard